An essay plan is the collective term for the general planning that should be conducted prior to writing an essay. The plan is inclusive of a whole lot of details; these should include the following:
- Essay outline – a set of headings and subheadings
- Essay format – how to employ formats (right at the start or after writing)
- Writing approach for the given topic or prompt (eg, expository, argumentative)
- List of details to include and crash out
- Possible references and search keywords to use
It matters not if your essay plan is comprehensive or not. Sometimes a too-complete-plan serves to be restrictive; other times, it’s just what you need. Hence, stick to the kind of plan that will cover your back as much as necessary.
In jotting your plan, when you feel confident that it’s enough, you may stop planning and turn your attention to writing. Otherwise, continue working on the essay plan until you struck satisfaction.